Traveling With Type 2 Diabetes
The following tips will help you learn how to plan ahead to manage your diabetes when you are traveling.
When you are planning a trip, there are things you need to keep in mind for managing your type 2 diabetes.
About 1 month before your trip:
- Ask your health care provider if you should have a checkup to make sure your diabetes is under control.
- Go over your schedule and talk about the medicines you take.
- Get any needed vaccines at least 1 month before your trip.
- Get a diabetes identification bracelet or necklace. This is also called ID. An ID tells others that you have diabetes. You can also keep an ID card in your wallet.
One or 2 days before your trip:
- Pack your own healthy food options. Take fresh fruit, cheese and crackers, trail mix, and granola bars.
- Pack your medicine in a carry-on bag. A good idea is to pack 2 times the amount of medicine and testing supplies you think you will need.
Tips to follow during your trip
- Stick to your usual diabetes plan when you travel. Follow your meal plan, be active most days, take medicine as prescribed, and check your blood sugar regularly.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes and change the shoes often. Never go barefoot. Check your feet every day for calluses, bunions, sores, and discolored skin.