Alcohol can lower your blood sugar levels. It can affect you up to 24 hours after drinking. So, you should not drink alcohol when your blood sugar is low or when your stomach is empty.
Talk to your health care provider about the possible effect on your blood sugar when drinking alcohol while taking certain medicines. Ask what amount is okay for you to drink.
If you choose to drink alcohol:
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Check your blood sugar before you drink.
- Eat a healthy snack or meal either before or while you drink.
- Check your blood sugar level before you go to bed.
- If it is low, eat something to raise your low blood sugar level before you go to bed.