Facts and Tips About HIV Therapy
The more you know about the HIV virus, the better you can control the impact of living with HIV. Plus, new information about the HIV virus is being discovered all the time. So whether you're newly diagnosed or currently on treatment, it's important that you stay up-to-date on key HIV facts and understand how your HIV treatment can affect you. It's part of how you and your health care professional choose a treatment that's right for you.
Here are some facts to know:
- You need to be committed to long-term treatment to help manage HIV.
- Treatment is a combination of more than one medicine.
- It's important to take your medicine as prescribed to give you the best chance to fight the virus.
- Treatment may have side effects—you and your health care professional can work together to find a combination of medicines that are right for you.
- If you're using any traditional remedies such as herbs or supplements for different health problems, make sure to tell your health care professionals about them. Some remedies can interact with your HIV treatment, and they should not replace the treatment your health care professional has prescribed.