Healthy Food Prep Made Easy
Try these quick tips for preparing healthier foods
- Remove skin and fat from meats.
- Add flavor to food with pepper, herbs, and spices.
- Use nonfat cooking spray.
- Check the recipe to see whether you can:
- Make healthy substitutions. Use whole-wheat pasta instead of enriched pasta. Use fat-free milk instead of whole milk.
- Reduce salt by half (or leave it out altogether) for most dishes.
- Cut sugar by one-third to one-half. To bring out the sweetness of the food, try adding spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.
- Cut fat by using half the butter for baked goods. Replace the other half with a substitute such as unsweetened applesauce.