Eating Out Healthy
Feel like Chinese tonight? Or Indian, or Italian, or Thai? Or are you just in the mood for a casual family restaurant? Eating out can be healthy, whether you’re dining out or driving through.
Just keep your goals in mind
A few easy-to-follow tips can go a long way. Check out some simple hints to keep you on the right track:
- Ask. You can make special requests. For instance, if the kitchen can prepare your meal with less salt or with vegetable oil.
- Call ahead.Find out if the restaurant you're planning to visit will make changes to meet your needs.
- Watch the portions. Remember that restaurant plates—and portions—tend to be large.
- Stay in control. It never hurts to have sauces and dressings served on the side so you can use them sparingly.
- Share. Why not offer some of your entrée to your dining companion.
- Stretch your meal. You do not have to eat it all in one sitting—take some home if you'd like.
Get the most from any menu
No matter what kind of food you're in the mood for, you can make sure that you're eating out healthy and staying on track.