Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, rolled oats, 3 tbsp brown sugar, canola oil, and maple syrup. Mix together to make a moist crumble mixture. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan combine the chopped dates and water. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 3 minutes.
4. Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender and add remaining 3 tbsp brown sugar, vanilla, and unsweetened cocoa. Blend for 10 to 15 seconds until smooth. Set aside.
5. Pour half the crumbled mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and press down firmly to flatten.
6. Spread the chocolate mixture evenly in the dish and top with remaining crumble mixture. Press down firmly to flatten.
7. Bake 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature and cut into 12 bars.
Makes 12 servings.