Preheat oven to 375°F.
1. Core the apples and place them in a medium-size baking dish. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine cranberries, 3 tbsp brown sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, walnuts, and Smart Balance spread. Mix well.
3. Fill the center of the apples with cranberry mixture.
4. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tbsp sugar, water, and vanilla. Pour into the baking dish around the apples.
5. Cover with foil and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until apples are soft.
6. To serve, place apples in the center of a dessert plate. Spoon some of the liquid from the baking dish over each apple and top with whipped topping.
Makes 6 servings.