Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Spray an 8 x 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, rolled oats, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1⁄4 tsp cinnamon, canola oil, and maple syrup. Mix together to make a moist crumble mixture. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan combine the chopped dates and water. Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 3 minutes.
4. Add remaining 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1⁄4 tsp cinnamon, applesauce, allspice, and cloves. Mix well and set aside.
5. Pour half the crumbled mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and press down firmly to flatten.
6. Spread the date mixture evenly in the dish and top with remaining crumble mixture. Press down firmly to flatten.
7. Bake 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature and cut into 12 bars.
Makes 12 servings.