Smoking Is Bad for Your Health
Smoking causes many health problems
Smoking can affect a person’s general health in a harmful way. It has also been linked to serious health problems, such as cancer, and reduces the health of smokers in general.
Smoking is also linked to:
- Heart disease: People who smoke are 2 to 4 times more likely to develop coronary heart disease than nonsmokers.
- Stroke: People who smoke are 2 to 4 times more likely to have a stroke than nonsmokers.
- Lung disease such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and bronchitis: People who smoke are 12 to 13 times more likely to die from COPD than nonsmokers.
Your smoking can hurt others around you
If you smoke, your family, friends, and coworkers may breathe in the smoke you breathe out and the smoke that comes from a burning (or lit) cigarette. This is called secondhand smoke. Exposure to secondhand smoke could cause health problems, too.
There is no level of exposure to secondhand smoke that is risk free. Breathing secondhand smoke for a short time can hurt your body.
Some of the health conditions caused by secondhand smoke in adults include heart disease and lung cancer.
You can quit smoking
Here are a few tips to help you get ready to quit smoking.
- Find your own reasons to quit smoking.
There are many good reasons to quit. Some people who have quit felt better because
Build support. First, set a quit date. Then, tell your family and friends about your promise to live a healthier life by quitting smoking. They may help you reach your goal with their positive support.
Throw them away. Throw away your cigarettes, lighters, and ashtrays. Not having these things around your house may help you when you feel like smoking.
Find a buddy. If you have a friend who smokes, ask him or her to quit with you. You may be able to help each other stay focused on your goal.
They feel in charge
- They don't need to smoke.
- They don't have to find places to smoke.
- They don't have to worry about their smoke bothering others.
They may feel more relaxed
- They don't have to make sure they always have cigarettes.
- They don’t spend their money on cigarettes.